Located near Sirohi District, Mount Abu is the only hill station in desert state of Rajasthan. Being the only Hill station in Rajasthan, it has been a popular retreat for Residents, tourist and people of Gujrat(as you will find tourist mostly from Gujrat ).If you are planning visit to Mount Abu better club it with Udaipur as its only 185 kms away approx. 3.5 hrs. journey by bus.
Travel-Always take Govt Roadways bus from Udaipur which are only available up till 8:00 am in morning from various points , which are cheaper than private buses which runs after 11am .Private AC bus are not preferable as they charge hefty amount and AC is also not required because as you move up weather gets cooler. Govt. bus Charges per person-For Men-Rs 165/-, For Ladies-Rs 125/- /Private bus charges per person-Rs 250-300/-. Pls note that all the buses will take you up till Abu Road which is 25km before Mount Abu.
Travel from Abu Road to Mount Abu– There is plenty of options available i.e. Govt bus, Private bus, Private Taxi. Preferable advice would be going for Govt Bus as charges are nominal as compared to other options. Charges of Govt bus per person-For Men-Rs 40/-, For Woman-Rs 30/-.
Hotels–If you google out hotels for Mount Abu you will see many hotels in mount Abu itself which are costlier (avg budget room cost Rs2000-3000/- and other hotels in Abu Road (avg budget room cost Rs 1000-1500) and Ambaji (avg budget room cost Rs 1500-2500/-).My personal advice would be to go for hotels in Mount Abu itself, there are number of reasons for it –
1)If you book hotel in Abu road or Ambaji you have to leave Mount Abu by last 7pm,as last govt bus runs by 7 PM only and private taxi and bus would charge heavily for going back.
2) Most of the markets and shops are operational only after evening and you should not miss it.
3) Scenic beauty of Mount Abu is breathtaking during Night which you would miss if you get down for hotel booked in Abu road or Ambaji.
Travel in Mount Abu-There are 2 options available 1) Book a Two wheeler Rent –Rs 300/-, Petrol-Rs 200/=Total-500/- 2) Private Taxi which charges Rs 300/- person. You can go with either of the options available as you can see there is hardly any difference in cost for 2 people .In taxi booking there is comfort of not driving self which is worth extra Rs 100/- you are paying for Taxi.
After you reach Mount Abu here are 10 best places to visit
- NAKKI LAKE-Nakki Lake is ancient and sacred lake. According to Hindu Mythology the lake was dug out by gods simply by using their nails to gain shelter from demon Bhanskhali. The lake is also famous as Mahatma Gandhi ashes were immersed here leading to the construction of Gandhi ghat. There are also plenty of hotels, restaurants, eateries located near lake which offer food at nominal rates.
Boat riding is available from 9:30am till 6 pm. Charges Rs 200/- per person.
- TOAD ROCK–Toad rock gets its name due to presence of naturally made sand sculpture resembling a tortoise. This location is famous for scenic view of mountain top and Aravalli peak which can be enjoyed form here. While trekking way towards toad rock you can witness some great views and place good for clicking pictures .For eg there is a cave on way where it is said Swami Vivekananda meditated for time being.On Mountain top if you are lucky you can witness clouds swarming your way.
- SUNSET POINT-The sunset view of Aravalli range is best viewed from this point. This Sunset point is also featured in Movie Qayamat se Qayamat tak.
- Honeymoon point-This point also promises some of breathtaking views of mountain top which is best for clicking pictures.
- Dilwara Jain Temple-Located at distance of 2.5 km from Mount Abu, the Dilwara Jain temple were built in 11th-13th century. The ornamental carvings and brilliant stone laying techniques make it most beautiful pilgrimage spots in the world. There is no entry fees and is opened all days form 12pm -5pm.
- Guru Shikhar –It is the highest point in Mount Abu. The place is best to get panoramic view of whole region and is famous for its Temple of Guru Dattatreya. Do not forget to pack you food and beverage with you as place is too far more Mount Abu .Alcohol is strict no for this place as it is scared.
- Achalgarh-The name refers to a fort and ancient kingdom, which was originally built by paramara rulers reconstructed in 1452 by Maharana Khumbha the ruler of Mewar Kingdom an renamed it as Achalgarh or immovable. The fort however stands to ruins these days leaving behind many remnants.
- Achaleshawar Mahadev Temple-It is famous for its natural occurring shiva linga, it is one of the oldest temple dedicated to lord Shiva in Rajasthan. Temple is said to have foot impression of lord Shiva himself and also has a brass Nandi and 3 sculptures of buffalo near pond.
- Trevors Tank-Trevor’s crocodile park is an artificial breeding spot located 5 km from Mount Abu. This place houses many fauna like black bear and also many resting crocodiles besides shore. The birdwatchers and the shutterbugs can get amazing shots here. This place is like indianised version of Rivendell. One of the best places to visit in Mount Abu. Cost of entry per person-Rs 30/-
- Mount Abu Bazar-As shopping is must for every trip, Mount Abu offers many options for same, for eg Government Handicraft Emporiums, Kashmiri cottage Emporium, Picadilly plaza and Khadi bhandar. These markets are famous for textiles, handicraft, handlooms, Kashmiri shawls etc.
So Guys this was 1 day travel guide for Mount Abu if you stay there with all required information including expenses .Hope this article would be helpful to you in planning your travel expenses well in advance.